Last modified: 2003-09-20 by phil nelson
Keywords: prince edward island | canada | lieutenant governor | oak tree | saplings | lion |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The name Īle Saint Jean was anglicized to St John's Island when the island became part of the British colony of Nova Scotia in 1763, and changed to Prince Edward Island in 1799, to honour Prince Edward, Duke of Kent, Commander-in-Chief of British North America, and later to be father of Queen Victoria.
Prince Edward Island was not party to the British North America Act of 1867, which created the Dominion of Canada, but joined later, without a grant of arms, on 1 July 1873.
There was no flag for the Governor of Prince Edward Island, but a badge based upon the Public Seal of 1769, when Prince Edward Island had been made a separate colony, was finally agreed for the Lieutenant-Governor of the province, in 1878. The seal depicted an oak tree and three small saplings with a Latin motto meaning, "the small under the protection of the great." The oak tree represented Britain, and the saplings, the island's three counties of King's, Queen's and Prince. On the badge of 1878 the oak was then taken to represent Canada.
Lt. Governor Flag, 1875-1905
by Blas Delgado
by Martin Grieve
On 2 September 1874, the Canadian Secretary of State had urged the Lieutenant-Governor of Prince Edward Island to adopt a badge for his flag. It was des